FOOD + RECIPES
AVOCADO RADISH AND CANDIED MAPLE PEPITA SALAD
Enjoy this tasty summer salad, with creamy avocado, crunch radish, fresh dill, candied maple pumpkin seeds and creamy tahini dressing
By Gaye Gerard - December 9th, 2019
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
Vegan, Dairy Free, Gluten free,
This is one of my favourite salads to make in summer, with fresh almost jam like figs, crispy green slightly tart granny smith and sweet pink lady apples topped with crunchy candied walnuts, tossed in the maple syrup and balsamic vinegar is pure heaven! You can add your personal choice of leafy greens, I find peppery rocket with the combination of fresh aromatic basil baby micro herbs for garnish is delicious.
¼ cup tahini
¼ cup water
1 tablespoon miso or gluten free
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
1 ½ teaspoons lemon zest
¼ teaspoon salt
1 avocado, cut into ¼ inch thick slices
½ watermelon radish (or other variety) thinly sliced on a mandoline
1 small handful sunflower sprouts
1/4 cup of pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
¼ cup pumpkin seeds
½ tablespoon tamari
1 ½ tablespoons maple syrup
1 teaspoon olive oil
Miso Tahini Dressing:
1. Blend together all ingredients until thoroughly combined. Adjust salt and vinegar and lemon juice to taste, set aside to chill in fridge.
2. In a small air tight container add the pepitas with other ingredients to combine, put in fridge to marinate for 4-6 hours. Spread pepitas evenly over a teflex sheet and dehydrate 12-24 hours, or until crispy.
3. Cut avocado into ¼ inch thick slices
4. Thinly slice radish on a mandoline
5. Gently prepare 1 handful of sunflower sprouts and line up mise en-place ready to plate.
1. Place 1-2 teaspoons of tahini dressing on 1 side of the plate. Use a spatula or flat knife or back of spoon to spread a broad thin layer of the dressing along the center of the plate. Layer avocado slices over the dressing.
Lightly drizzle a small amount of lemon juice juice over the avocado. Layer with pepitas, radish, sunflower sprouts, and garnish with edible flowers and micro-herbs. Best served chilled.