FOOD + RECIPES
VEGAN LEMON BARS
Want to be surprised!!! This delicious creamy lemony treat is a healthy alternative you will want to make again and again.
By Gaye Gerard - June 20th, 2020
Prep time: 30 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
Vegan, Dairy Free, Gluten free,
Indulge in these delicious and healthy vegan lemon bars. Add your favorite toppings like blueberries or blackberries or a small spoon of coconut cream or toasted coconut flakes. The perfect treat to take to a BBQ or dinner party. They freeze well and are packed with veggies are low in fat, naturally sweet from the sweet potato combined with a touch of sweetener from maple syrup so the calorie count is low.
1 1/2 cup almond meal
1/4 cup maple syrup or 4 medjool dates
pinch of salt
2 tbsp coconut oil
optional add 1 tbsp fine shredded coconut flakes
1 cup steamed cauliflower
1 cup steamed Japanese sweet potato
3 tbsp coconut cream
2 tbsp oat milk or plant milk of choice
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
zest of 1 lemon
½ tbsp vanilla extract
3 tbsp tapioca starch
1/4 tsp turmeric for colour
1. For the Base; Start by soaking 1 1/2 cups of natural Almonds for 4-6 hours, or measure out 1.5 cups of ground almond meal. add to food processor or blender with maple syrup or dates and salt and process into a crumb make sure not to over process you don't want this in a paste.
2. Line a small 8x8 inch square baking pan with parchment paper and gently pat down the dough into a even crust, place in fridge to chill while you make the filling.
3. Prepare and chop cauliflower florets equal to 1 cup.
4. Peel and dice purple sweet potato into 1 cup and steam together for approximately 15-20 minutes or until soft to touch with a fork.
5. Drain to make sure you remove any liquid and then add to a high speed blender along with the other ingredients: maple syrup, coconut cream, vanilla, oat milk, lemon juice and zest, tapioca starch, and turmeric, and blend all of the ingredients until smooth, you want the batter to be thick and creamy but remember the tapioca will thicken it when it sets. Add extra lemon zest if required to your taste.
3. Pour the batter onto the crust in the baking tin and smooth it out on top.
4. Bake in the oven for 180 degrees Celsius for 40 minutes. Chill in the fridge overnight.
Serve with your choice of toppings, such as fresh berries, coconut cream or yogurt, toasted coconut flaked or candied lemon peel.